|Fresh from the Shop and Looking Good!|
Prototype #4 has a number of design changes from the previous prototypes originating from a variety of tests, feedback, and research:
- Magnetic base and cap (it works very well...not sure how I overlooked this design initially)
- Slightly longer for a combination of aesthetics and to hold long-style USB boards if I ever need to
- Hole in the cap for a lanyard attachment
- Slightly simpler interior design for cheaper production (at a small cost of strength)
- Very high strength materials (Aluminum 7068-T651 and Titanium Grade 5)
- Hard anodized Aluminum (dark red)
- Laser engraved logo and serial number
|Close-up Showing the Laser Engraving Details|
The production itself was basically flawless with only a few minor issues encountered:
- Thread in base was 0.05" deeper than specified (makes assembly a little trickier)
- Threads in the Aluminum base were a bit tight (re-tapped manually after anodizing)
Other than the smaller quantities (10 Aluminum and 5 Titanium) the production process was identical to that of the (hopefully) eventual larger order. This minimizes any surprises and gives me a good idea on the base material cost and time required for assembly.
All that is left now is the final assembly of the USB boards and epoxying before I can get back to destructively testing a few units for fun!